۞وَنَجَّيْنَاهُ وَأَهْلَهُ مِنَ الْكَرْبِ الْعَظِيمِ
76. And We rescued him and his family from the great distress (i.e. drowning),
۞وَجَعَلْنَا ذُرِّيَّتَهُ هُمُ الْبَاقِينَ
77. And, his progeny, them We made the survivors (i.e. Shem, Ham and Japheth).
۞وَتَرَكْنَا عَلَيْهِ فِي الْآخِرِينَ
78. And left for him (a goodly remembrance) among generations to come in later times:
۞سَلَامٌ عَلَىٰ نُوحٍ فِي الْعَالَمِينَ
79. Salāmun (peace) be upon Nūḥ (Noah) (from Us) among the ʿĀlamīn (mankind, jinns and all that exists)!”
۞إِنَّا كَذَٰلِكَ نَجْزِي الْمُحْسِنِينَ
80. Verily, thus We reward the Muḥsinūn (good-doers – see V.2:112).
۞إِنَّهُ مِنْ عِبَادِنَا الْمُؤْمِنِينَ
81. Verily, he [Nūḥ (Noah)] was one of Our believing slaves.
۞ثُمَّ أَغْرَقْنَا الْآخَرِينَ
82. Then We drowned the other (disbelievers and polytheists, etc.).
۞ وَإِنَّ مِن شِيعَتِهِ لَإِبْرَاهِيمَ
83. And, verily, among those who followed his [Nūḥ’s (Noah)] way (Islamic Monotheism) was Ibrāhīm (Abraham).
۞إِذْ جَاءَ رَبَّهُ بِقَلْبٍ سَلِيمٍ
84. When he came to his Lord with a pure heart [attached to Allāh Alone and none else, worshipping none but Allāh Alone true Islamic Monotheism, pure from the filth of polytheism].
۞إِذْ قَالَ لِأَبِيهِ وَقَوْمِهِ مَاذَا تَعْبُدُونَ
85. When he said to his father and to his people: “What is it that which you worship?
۞أَئِفْكًا آلِهَةً دُونَ اللَّهِ تُرِيدُونَ
86. “Is it a falsehood āliha (gods) other than Allāh that you seek?
۞فَمَا ظَنُّكُم بِرَبِّ الْعَالَمِينَ
87. “Then what do you think about the Lord of the ʿĀlamīn (mankind, jinns, and all that exists)?”
۞فَنَظَرَ نَظْرَةً فِي النُّجُومِ
88. Then he cast a glance at the stars (to deceive them),
۞فَقَالَ إِنِّي سَقِيمٌ
89. And he said: “Verily, I am sick (with plague. He did this trick to remain in their temple of idols to destroy them and not to accompany them to the pagan’s feast).”
۞فَتَوَلَّوْا عَنْهُ مُدْبِرِينَ
90. So they turned away from him, and departed (for fear of the disease).
۞فَرَاغَ إِلَىٰ آلِهَتِهِمْ فَقَالَ أَلَا تَأْكُلُونَ
91. Then he turned to their āliha (gods) and said: “Will you not eat (of the offering before you)?
۞مَا لَكُمْ لَا تَنطِقُونَ
92. “What is the matter with you that you speak not?”
۞فَرَاغَ عَلَيْهِمْ ضَرْبًا بِالْيَمِينِ
93. Then he turned upon them, striking (them) with (his) right hand.
۞فَأَقْبَلُوا إِلَيْهِ يَزِفُّونَ
94. Then they (the worshippers of idols) came, towards him, hastening.
۞قَالَ أَتَعْبُدُونَ مَا تَنْحِتُونَ
95. He said: “Worship you that which you (yourselves) carve?
۞وَاللَّهُ خَلَقَكُمْ وَمَا تَعْمَلُونَ
96. “While Allah has created you and what you make!”
۞قَالُوا ابْنُوا لَهُ بُنْيَانًا فَأَلْقُوهُ فِي الْجَحِيمِ
97. They said: “Build for him a building (it is said that the building was like a furnace) and throw him into the blazing fire!”
۞فَأَرَادُوا بِهِ كَيْدًا فَجَعَلْنَاهُمُ الْأَسْفَلِينَ
98. So they plotted a plot against him, but We made them the lowest.
۞وَقَالَ إِنِّي ذَاهِبٌ إِلَىٰ رَبِّي سَيَهْدِينِ
99. And he said (after his rescue from the fire): “Verily, I am going to my Lord. He will guide me!”
۞رَبِّ هَبْ لِي مِنَ الصَّالِحِينَ
100. “My Lord! Grant me (offspring) from the righteous.”
۞فَبَشَّرْنَاهُ بِغُلَامٍ حَلِيمٍ
101. So We gave him the glad tidings of a forbearing boy.