Is it permissible to ask a student of knowledge due to the absence of a scholar in the country that I reside?

Shaykh Ṣāliḥ ibn Fawzān al-Fawzān:

Yes, fear Allāh ﷻ as much as you are able. Ask the best students of knowledge that you can find [who are] pious and upright. This is in regards to general issues, but as for major issues, divorce and so on, then not every person is asked in regards to such matters. [These issues must be] referred to religious courts or the Committee of Major Scholars.